The perfect place for a time of transition in academics and life.
For students in grades 5 through 8
The Wellington Middle School program builds on the lower school concepts of joyful learning, an age-appropriate mix of learning and play, and a variety of challenging curricular, extracurricular, and emotional growth opportunities that help develop the whole student.
Travel that teaches
Each fall, students travel together to begin grappling with essential questions:
- The 5th grade spends five days at the Stratford Reserve learning about ecosystems by exploring nature.
- The 6th grade goes to Camp Cuyahoga to study watersheds and the Ohio environment.
- The 7th grade travels to Williamsburg, VA and Washington, D.C. to live history, both in the past and in the present.
- The 8th grade travels to Toronto to experience a cosmopolitan city and explore answering the following questions: what is my role in the global community, how do I fit into the world as a whole, and how can I make a difference both locally and globally?
Learning through service to others
Our students develop compassion and an interest in their community when they engage in service learning opportunities. They come to understand that doing well also means doing good.
- 5th grade – Students befriend, mentor, and learn from immigrant students at Columbus Global Academy, as both schools make regular trips to visit the other throughout the year. It is one of the most fulfilling examples of service learning in middle school.
- 6th grade – Students develop and maintain relationships with senior citizens at The Laurels, an assisted living center, through pair activities and special events.
- 7th grade – Students are involved in a yearlong service learning project that takes them to Head Start centers in Columbus to work with preschool children. Wellington students go regularly to work for a full afternoon with their young mentees.
- 8th grade – Students visit St. Stephen’s Community House to help serve meals and play games with senior citizens as part of an ongoing partnership.
In addition to challenging core courses, we offer the following options for students to explore their passions:
- Power of Your Brain
- Tech Tools and Web 2.0
- Environmental Engineering and Sustainability