Wellington knows no boundaries.
Thank you for your interest in The Wellington School. Below is a detailed outline for international students interested in enrolling at The Wellington School. Before beginning the admissions process, please complete the International Student Pre-Application.
International students who attend Wellington must reside in the Columbus area with family members over the age of 30, or with close family friends. Wellington does not secure host families or housing for international students. International applications are only considered for students entering grades 7, 8, and 9.
In addition, the student must be able to speak and comprehend the English language proficiently and be able to communicate with minimal assistance. Wellington provides language education support for an annual fee of $3,650. International students must receive language education support unless faculty determines it is not required. Outside tutoring is often needed, and arranged and paid for by the student’s family.
The international admissions process can be very time-consuming, and it is recommended that the family initiate the process very early. The International Student Admissions Process and Enrollment Steps must be completed in their entirety before Wellington will issue the Form I-20.
Required forms referenced in the instructions below can be found by clicking on the document name within the text, or by using the list of links at the bottom of the page.
Download a printable copy of this page here.
International Student Admissions Process
- Complete the International Student Pre-Application. If the TOEFL Jr score is not already submitted on this form, proceed to Step 2.
- Submit a recent Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL or TOEFL Jr for student under 17 years of age). The required minimum TOEFL Jr score is 800 for students entering grade 9. Students entering grades 7 or 8 do not have a required score but should be proficient in English. The school code for Wellington is 2221. Secondary Level English Proficiency Test (SLEP) will be accepted if the student has already taken the SLEP test.
A member of the Admissions staff will review the TOEFL Junior score and pre-application. If acceptable, the student will be asked to move forward with Part Two. Admissions will also email the student’s family a document with Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for Applicants.
- Complete the Wellington Application online and submit along with the $150 nonrefundable application fee to: The Wellington School 3650 Reed Road Columbus, Ohio 43220 Attention: Admissions Office.
- Upon review of the information submitted, a member of the Admissions staff will contact the student’s family or representative to arrange a student interview during a visit, or, if the student will not be in the United States, via Skype.
Upon completion of the student interview, a member of the Admissions staff will contact the student’s family or representative with instructions about the next steps in the process, as outlined below.
- The student’s family will provide a teacher recommendation form to the student’s current English, math, and a third teacher of the student’s choice (see links below). Teachers will fax the recommendation forms to 614-442-3286 or email their recommendation forms directly to email@example.com. It is preferred that the recommendation form be written in English. If that option is not available, the current school’s English teacher or a professional translation organization may be used to translate the teacher recommendation forms. All translations must be signed by the translator. In addition to the translator’s signature, please provide the organization’s official seal if using a professional translation organization.
- A copy of the student’s most recent report card and transcript should be submitted to the Admissions Office. The report card must be submitted with an accompanying English translation.
- The student’s family will submit the Parent Questionnaire and Student Questionnaire in English. The student must complete the interview form unassisted. A professional translation organization can be used for the parent interview form, and must be signed by the translator. In addition to the translator’s signature, please provide the organization’s official seal.
- The student’s parents will sign the Authorization Form and Transcript Request Form, which allow Wellington to contact the school or to request other important sources of information.
Admissions staff will review the above paperwork and then contact the family for next steps.
- The student’s family will be asked to initiate contact with an English-speaking teacher in the student’s current school to make arrangements for the teacher to administer the Wellington written admissions exam if the student is not in the United States. The English-speaking teacher will be asked to contact the Wellington Admissions Office via email to receive the testing materials and instructions.
The complete application file will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee for a final Admissions decision.
- Families will be notified of the Admissions decision by email. If a student is accepted to Wellington, they will be issued a contract for review. The following steps in this section must be completed before the contract can be executed and enrollment finalized (see enrollment steps below).
- The host family will complete the Host Family Information form and schedule a time to meet with the Wellington Admissions staff. This meeting must be in person. The host family cannot be changed prior to or during the student’s stay without previous approval from the Admissions Office. Changes made without prior approval can result in the revocation of the I-20 and F-1 visa.
- The parent’s bank must also forward a statement indicating that the family has sufficient funds to support the student’s school and living expenses in Columbus for the upcoming school year.
- The student’s family will submit a complete copy of the student’s immunization records and passport.
If the student’s parents accept the contract, the following steps are required before Wellington will issue the Form I-20, the document that is used to obtain the F-1 student visa:
- The student’s parents must sign the online enrollment process, as outlined in the email from the Admissions Office. This includes completing the required photo policy, selecting a payment plan, and signing the online enrollment contract. The host family will be given read-only access to the online enrollment portal to allow them to assist the family through the process, if needed.
- The student’s family will make a deposit of 70% of the total tuition. The deposit can be sent by wire transfer from a bank in the home country to Wellington’s bank in the United States.
- The student’s parents will submit a signed travel authorization and medical treatment authorization form.
- A copy of the student’s health insurance policy (Insurance Company Reference form) must be submitted to the Admissions office before the first day of school.
Obtaining the Form I-20
Wellington requires that families consult a Columbus immigration attorney to support the entire admissions process and recommends making contact with an attorney before beginning Wellington’s application process. Families may choose any Columbus area immigration attorney.
After the above steps are completed, the Wellington Admissions Office will initiate the process for the student to obtain Form I-20. The Form I-20 is necessary for the student to secure a visa from the student’s home country. Form I-20 is only a part of the process, and the issuance of this document does not confer an immigration status on the student, rather U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services must declare immigration status.
If the student is denied a visa from the student’s home country, Wellington will release the contract and the 70% deposit will be returned in full to the family. Students who are denied must present written documentation to the Wellington Admissions Office.
Download a printable copy of this page here.
Important International Admissions Forms
The Wellington School
3650 Reed Road
Columbus, OH 43220