Wellington continues to monitor closely the coronavirus outbreak (COVID-19) and provide regular updates to you as the situation evolves. Our senior leadership team is focused on the school’s preparedness and response and is consulting with subject matter experts alongside the board of trustee leadership on a regular basis. The health and safety of our students and the broader Wellington community remains our top priority.
While these updates are comprehensive, our goal is to keep you informed and apprised of our proactive approach to COVID-19:
- Events: We are beginning to make decisions on community events based on current Ohio Department of Health and CDC recommendations. We are in the process of determining which 2019-2020 school year events will be rescheduled, which can be hosted remotely and which ones will be canceled altogether. Over the coming days and weeks, we will be evaluating the remainder of our school year events based on how the COVID-19 situation progresses.
- Grandparents & Special Friends Day: Based on these conversations, we have made the difficult decision to cancel this year's Grandparents and Special Friends Day, previously scheduled to be hosted at Wellington on Friday, May 8. We make this decision with a heavy heart and an abundance of caution based on the updated information from the Ohio Department of Health and CDC. These organizations advise that it is best to avoid crowded settings, especially older individuals and those with certain underlying health conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, lung disease, or a weakened immune system. May 8 will remain an early dismissal day for all students.
- Personal Travel: I continue to stress that for community members and families that are choosing to travel over the break, please consider the alert level of your trip destination and elect to self-quarantine as necessary upon your return based on international travel alerts provided by the U.S. Department of State and CDC. Community members that elect to self-quarantine should be assured that Wellington administrators and faculty will work with your student and family to arrange remote learning out of an abundance of caution. Please be advised that all Wellington employees will be practicing the same precautions, including mandatory self-reporting regarding travel and self-quarantining when warranted.
- WISE International Travel: Because of the evolving nature of the global spread of COVID-19, we are continuing to monitor and assess next steps on our international travel programs scheduled for May 2020. We expect to make decisions regarding the program in the coming weeks and will continue to follow CDC recommendations while working closely with International SOS. Our top priority in this and all decisions is our students’ health and safety.
- Online Learning: While there are no Wellington-associated cases of COVID-19, we know that there are at least three confirmed cases in Ohio, and we anticipate that this number will grow. We are being proactive in an effort to prevent illness and continue the important work of the school. With that said, we stand ready with distance learning infrastructure and processes, should we need them. At this time, in-person classes will continue as planned.
- Update Center: As part of an effort to streamline and share information, we have published a dedicated webpage that will track all COVID-19 related information from Wellington. You can access that by clicking this link or clicking the blue button below.
Please know we will continue to monitor the situation and pivot as needed with the health and safety of our community as the top priority.
Dr. Jeff Terwin
Wellington Head of School
Director of Marketing & Communications
For all information related to how Wellington is monitoring and addressing COVID-19, click here.